Ethan @ 20 months

Ethan @ 20 months
Ethan @ 20 months

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Step 1 to getting out of debt-Admitting you are going to get out debt

No one "likes" living to paycheck, yet most of us (middle class citizens) do.

*Warning-I am by no means a financial adviser, a publicist for Suze Orman, or in any way, shape, or form have any right to give anyone financial advice. Just a working mom with a few minutes on her hands...make that a few seconds on her hands.

My goal for the next few (let's say 3) years is to get out of debt. My husband laughed when I said that the other day. "Aren't most people trying to get out of debt?"-Jason

Well, yes, most people are trying to get out of debt but we are going to be different, we are actually going to do it.

I'm not here to share our finances but there's the usual: credit cards, school loan, and car loan. I'm leaving our mortgage out of it because we are a middle class, two parent working family...paying off our mortgage in the next few years is NOT realistic.

While watching some morning talk show on some random morning that I'm chasing after our toddler putting his toys away (that's another post that has yet to be written) I overhear Suze Orman sharing her advice on spending your hard earned money.


1. If you need it, buy it. If you don't need it, don't buy it.
Simple enough.

2. Live within your means, not your needs.
Sort of simple enough...do we have to get rid of the cleaning lady and cable? We JUST got cable for the first time in 4 years.

3. Fall in love with saving, not spending.
Difficult enough. I'm not a clothes, shoes, or purse buyer and my husband doesn't have any expensive hobbies he is collecting but I believe she means the little things in life. They add up.

I went to her website to check it out.
Debt Eliminator- A tool that is actually going to be useful! If I could actually see the whole damn window. I was really looking forward to trying it but apparently the web designer for her website doesn't know how to size a window.

So I moved on in her website and found this gem. (FYI- I haven't watched the videos because the volume on my laptop is stuck at Really Loud and I'm at a place that no one else wants to hear what I'm watching).
Women give testimonials on their success.

We have debt and it needs to be gone (much like those stinkbugs slowly invading our house). It's going to be a long road but it CAN be done. I don't envision switching careers any time soon like most of the women in the testimonials in the link above but we can make changes to eliminate our debt.

Step 1- We ARE going to get out of debt.
Donations are welcome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment