Ethan @ 20 months

Ethan @ 20 months
Ethan @ 20 months

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Marlboro Woman- No More


It's crazy to think that I smoked for so long. What a waste of money. Sometimes it's hard to be near it and I can smell it from a mile away. I don't frown upon anyone that smokes because I know how addictive it is and what it does to your mind and body. Nicotine is such a powerful drug in so many ways.

After having quit for about 6 months I was standing in a circle with a few co-workers in the hallway. One of the coworkers had just come inside from smoking and I could smell it. Within a few minutes I got a sharp headache and my vision went into tunnel vision. I almost passed out right there in the middle of a conversation. I had to get out of the situation. I made up an excuse and walked away. When I couldn't smell it anymore my brain went back to normal and I was fine. My brain wanted the nicotine so badly it freaked out on me. That moment really showed me how controlling nicotine and smoking is.

Benefits for quitting up to a year:
·        Risk of heart disease is decreased to half that of a smoker
·        I am one of 7% that are actually smoke free at the end of their first year
·        Any smoking related sinus congestions, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased
·        Cilia have re-grown in my lungs thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep my lungs clean, and reduce infections
·        Overall energy has increased
·        Blood circulation has substantially improved

If packs were $3.50 the entire time I smoked, I spent roughly $8,000 on cigarettes. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I have been actively attending Zumba, TRX, and Yoga classes at Balans, a local studio. I did make myself present at the vending machine at work for a few months which caused me to gain a few pounds. Ok, 15. I haven't weighed this much since I put on the Freshman 15 in college. I've gotten Jason on board and we've been watching our consumption of calories (etc) taken in and burned through an app on our phones and online, MyFitnessPal. It's pretty cool. I recommend it, even if you are trying to gain weight. We've gotten the sessions of P90X and are going to start that once we get our basement back. So for now we are walking (we got new shoes at The Running Store) loop of Virginia Oaks which is 2 miles.

I am giving us a pat on the back, a high five, a standing ovation, and a beer. Cheers to our accomplishment!

No comments:

Post a Comment