Ethan @ 20 months

Ethan @ 20 months
Ethan @ 20 months

Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Complimenting Attacker?

Yup, they exist.

I was just telling a coworker last week how safe I felt living in Gainesville. For the most part everyone is generally polite, kind, and easy to talk to. I have never felt threatened by someone's politeness...until yesterday morning.

Like millions of people, I am a contestant in the daily rat race.  I get up in the morning, shower, get dressed, feed the kitties, put my shoes on, get my Starbucks, get startled by a stranger approaching my car from the back and knocking on my driver's side window, wait...that doesn't happen daily. Or ever for that matter.

I rolled my window down probably a little further then I should have but not enough that he could stick his hand in the car. Not a bad looking man. Not a homeless looking man. Had all of his teeth. Dressed nicely but not in a suit or tie. Didn't smell (that I know of).

Stranger: "Ma'am.  Are you married?" He's bent over a little bit in order to see my face.  He was about 5'10 and I was in the Altima. I later realized that he was probably checking my door handle to see if it would open.

Me: "Yes."  What the hell would he say if I said no?

When he realized it was a failed attempt, he had to come up with something, so he came up with...                                                
Stranger: "Well, I just wanted to tell you that you are
very pretty."

Me: "Thanks." Then he turned and walked away. Harmless but I got out of the parking lot as soon as possible and went on with my morning as usual.

Posted the story on Facebook...like you do.

Before lunch I mentioned it to co-worker.  She said it was super creepy and I should report it since there was an attempted robbery last week at the nearby Target by a man with the same description (even though the description was probably 50% of the population).  But I'll tell you what, I'm not as observant as I should be.  When it comes to noticing the details (besides words), I only remember 4.  The guy's nose (because it was big), lips (because they were gigantic), the car he was possibly driving (it was bigger then his lips), and the colors of the license plate (normal sized license plate).  It wasn't a VA, MD, NC or any other license plate that tend to be local and the 1 time I should have read the plate, I didn't.

I called the non-emergency number for PWC police. Of course the lady asked for the plate number and my report was a little late (4 hours) to send a cop there. I filed my "suspicious activity" by a man who complimented my looks and did absolutely nothing to harm me, my car, or anyone in the immediate vicinity.

This would happen to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment